Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Be a tidal wave of happiness (the little girl at the airport story)

I was reminded today of a recent airport experience I had. I was walking through the airport and decided to utilize one of those movable walkways, a kind of flat escalator. I was standing there as the walkway moved me along, when all of a sudden I heard the thump, thump, thump of little feet running. I turn to look behind me as a little girl, probably no more than 8 years old comes running past me. A look of sheer joy on her face as she ran, pink backpack on, and hair blowing in the wind. She was running with all of her might, laughing as she ran, and clearly having fun.

This scene was in stark contrast to the dozens of travelers around with their disgruntled looks of travel-frustration. However, as the little girl ran by I noticed couples and businessmen turn and smile as this girl ran passed them enjoying the simple pleasure of running through the airport. This girl was a tidal wave of happiness that took hold of everyone she passed by. Her joy was contagious, which was clearly evident on the faces of each person she passed. Faintly behind me I could hear her parents calling her to come back, at which point she stopped turned around and ran with the same blissful energy back to her parents. I believe all who witnessed this little girl's excitement and happiness, no matter how bad a mood they were in, had to smile.

Children often see joy in the simplest of things. Let us be a tidal wave of happiness for others. Let us live our lives not afraid of the constraints of adulthood, and live our lives to the fullest, seeing each day as a new adventure filled with wonders and laughter.

Just another thought to consider.

T.J. Martin
Opelika, AL
www.tjmartin.org

No comments:

Post a Comment